OLD HOMOSASSA HERITAGE PARK AND WORKING WATERFRONT
On July 7, 2020, the Homosassa Civic Club, Inc. purchased the Locklar Property, with the assistance of the DEP Stan Mayfield Working Water Front Grant.
More than five years before that date, Roger Cullen and Joyce Verce decided that they would like a public park on the Homosassa River that they could walk to and enjoy the view. Roger approached Rodney MacRae with his idea and the “Access to the River” committee was created from interested members of the Homosassa Civic Club, Save the Homosassa River Alliance, and the Old Homosassa Heritage Council.
The committee had ups and downs securing the necessary funds but never gave up on their mission of having a park for all to access. Eventually the group moved to being a committee of the Homosassa Civic Club—a very successful 501 (3)(c) non-profit organization that was created in 1950 and now has over 150 members.
Members of the “Old Homosasssa Heritage Park and Working Waterfront” committee are chairperson, Rodney MacRae, Roger Cullen, Joyce Verce, Terry and Kathy Green, Bill and Iris Rose, Steve and Cyndi Minguy, Connie Wright, Tim Gatto, Barb Fletcher, Christine Stuckie, Kathy Beck, and Joe Faro
The community park will be a true working waterfront. Shelley’s Seafood, Wild Sassa, and all the slips with commercial boats will remain. The committee is working with USF to create the ideal park setting and the building on the property will be a museum, displaying the history of Old Homosassa.